I have a deed to a piece of property that is signed and notorized. can it be taken away?

Asked over 1 year ago - Charleston, WV

My grandparents signed a deed over to me for a piece of property beside my house. One grandparent has deceased since and the other is not in her right mind. The family is trying to say that it wasnt a legal transaction. i want to sale this property. can i sale it without someone trying to come later and make me pay the money back since the deed is signed and notorized from my grandparents.

1. Jeff Tomberg

Answered . you must see a lawyer. if you try to sell it there will be a title search performed to see what documents are of public record. a lawyer can advise you on whether you own the property or not and what rights you have. whether you do it now or when you sell you will find out. better to know now than later. and to find out what your options are as they will narrow as time goes on.

2. Marc Guy Mathys

Pro

Answered . You are silent as to whether the deed was recorded. If not, you should record after discussing the situation with an attorney. Most importantly, if you know the transaction is going to be attacked by the rest of the family, you should, if possible, resolve these issues before any sale.