Skip to main content

I have a daughter who is 15 now my ex husband was her step dad for 10 years before our divorce

Slidell, LA |

i have a daughter who is 15 now my ex husband was her step dad for 10 years before our divorce. He has gotten primary custody of our 2 children we had in marriage leaving me with every other weekend. he has the money in this custody battle his family knows a lot of judges and lawyers i was screwed in court bc i i had a lawyer that i could afford who did not care if i won my children or not and ended up being friends with my lawyer. i do not believe my children's best interest should be made by a court or lawyers i tried to work this without them but my ex husband is all about what money can buy. my kids miss me and want to stay more but he tells them no. all i want is my kids to be able to see me when they want. he has had his girlfriend living with him for about a year and a half now and i have had my boyfriend living with me for about 5 months now. my ex husband had a disagreement with my boyfriend so now he doesn't want to let the kids come over for extra time and said he is taking me back to court bc he doesn't want me to see them anymore. so i said fine you do that and i will keep my 15 yr old from you but i know this will hurt her. what would be the best thing for me to do as far as letting her go there to visit.

Attorney Answers 2


If your daughter has a good relationship with him and wants to visit, you should let her visit. The Crap that's between you and your ex husband should not be your daughters concern. It should also not interfere with her relationship with her siblings.

Every legal matter is fact specific, and there are often nuances in every case. This is intended for comment only, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


no good answer.she is not his child; so there are no rights that he has. if she is interested in going, might be better to show that you are only caring about her and being fair to him. perhaps he sees that and relents on something you want.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics