I have a D felony, how can I get it turned into an A misdemeanor?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Merrillville, IN

This happen in the state of IN. I received 18 months probation an got general discharge.

1. Marcelino Gustav Lopez

Pro

Answered . Your attorney needed to have negotiated Alternate Misdemeanor Sentencing (AMS) when you were sentenced.

2. Gregory A Miller

Answered . If you were sentenced pursuant to a plea agreement, the plea agreement would need to include language allowing, or not objecting to, a modification of the D felony conviction to a class A Misdemeanor. A recent Indiana Supreme Court decision, State v. Brunner, holds that the trial court is without authority to modify the sentence from a Class D Felony to a Class A Misdemeanor (other than at the original sentence date) unless specifically included in the plea agreement.

3. John D Barrett

Answered . I would need more information. What does the plea agreement say on the issue? How long ago was the conviction..you may be able to seal the record of conviction. I just need more info.