I have a D felony, how can I get it turned into an A misdemeanor?

Merrillville, IN |

This happen in the state of IN. I received 18 months probation an got general discharge.

1. Your attorney needed to have negotiated Alternate Misdemeanor Sentencing (AMS) when you were sentenced.

This is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be obtained from a lawyer after you have entered into an attorney client relationship.

2. If you were sentenced pursuant to a plea agreement, the plea agreement would need to include language allowing, or not objecting to, a modification of the D felony conviction to a class A Misdemeanor. A recent Indiana Supreme Court decision, State v. Brunner, holds that the trial court is without authority to modify the sentence from a Class D Felony to a Class A Misdemeanor (other than at the original sentence date) unless specifically included in the plea agreement.

3. I would need more information. What does the plea agreement say on the issue? How long ago was the conviction..you may be able to seal the record of conviction. I just need more info.

This is an answer to a legal question posted on AVVO with limited facts and should not be construed as creating an attorney client relationship.