I have a D felony, how can I get it turned into an A misdemeanor?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Merrillville, IN

This happen in the state of IN. I received 18 months probation an got general discharge.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Marcelino Gustav Lopez


    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . Your attorney needed to have negotiated Alternate Misdemeanor Sentencing (AMS) when you were sentenced.

    This is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be obtained from a lawyer after you have entered into an attorney... more
  2. Gregory A Miller

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . If you were sentenced pursuant to a plea agreement, the plea agreement would need to include language allowing, or not objecting to, a modification of the D felony conviction to a class A Misdemeanor. A recent Indiana Supreme Court decision, State v. Brunner, holds that the trial court is without authority to modify the sentence from a Class D Felony to a Class A Misdemeanor (other than at the original sentence date) unless specifically included in the plea agreement.

  3. John D Barrett

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . I would need more information. What does the plea agreement say on the issue? How long ago was the conviction..you may be able to seal the record of conviction. I just need more info.

    This is an answer to a legal question posted on AVVO with limited facts and should not be construed as creating an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,769 answers this week

3,052 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,769 answers this week

3,052 attorneys answering