I have a custody hearing coming up. What other forms do I need to file.

Texas City, TX |
Filed under: Family law

Am I required to have the details or outline for the judge before my hearing? I'm reading online trying to find answer and had no luck.

1. Check the local rules in your county. Some judges will require certain information prior to a trial. You may want to have a proposed order for the judge to sign. I would highly recommend seeking advice of local counsel. When children are involved, its not worth the risk.

Please note that this is not legal advice, nor does it constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Further, without a full case evaluation, there is no way to provide legal advice about potential outcomes. Hire an experienced family law attorney.

2. A custody hearing without a lawyer is a really bad idea. Learning how to effectively try a lawsuit is why lawyers go to law school and practice, because it isn't easy.

If finances are an issue, talk to friends and family to see if anyone can help you. Good luck.

3. If you actually want to win this custody hearing, you will hire an attorney. It is 99% likely that you will not prevail without one. See if you can find an attorney who will work with you.
    Good luck!

4. Without knowing the issues and history, I can not tell you how to prepare. I can tell you that going to a custody hearing pro se is a good way to lose your kids. Hire an attorney. Get friends and family to help you with fees. This is too important to get wrong.

This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.

5. Check the "local rules" for your county. I see your post says you're from Texas City, Texas, which is in Galveston County. Find the Galveston County District Clerk's office online and look for local rules there in the family division or something similar to that. They may also have forms that may help you if you insist on going it alone for your hearing. Even if there's no requirement for an outline, bring a one or two page summary of what you want the Judge to do.

There are lots of other forms that might be necessary, like budgets showing your income, witness lists, evidence lists, pretrial filings, announcements of ready, certificates of conference, subpoenas. A lawyer can help you prep the best case possible. This will impact you and your child for years to come, so think twice before going in without an attorney. See if anyone local will let you pay for an hour of their time to at least review your case and documents. You might be missing something crucial and it's better to know as soon as possible.

6. I agree with the other attorneys. If you cannot afford an attorney, consider contacting the following organization serving Galveston county. If you qualify, they will assign a pro bono attorney to your case. Note that their intake hours for family law issues are on Mondays from 8:30AM-12:30PM.
    Galveston Lone Star Legal Aid
    Address:
    2200 Market Street Suite 301
    Galveston, Tx. 77550
    Intakes for the Galveston Office are conducted by the Centralized Intake Unit in Houston, TX.
    Intake hours for family law issues:
    Monday 8:30 a.m.- 12:30 p.m.
    Phone : (713) 652-0077
    800 Phone : (800) 733-8394
    Emergency intakes will be accepted during business hours.