I have a court hearing in Hall County, Georgia for a dui. I am out on bail now. What would happen If I took a job 5 states away

Asked 11 months ago - Gainesville, GA

... never to return. Will I be extradited back on a misdemeanor dui?

1. Benjamin David Goldberg

Pro

10

Best Answer

Answered . Possibly. It would be up to Hall County to decide whether they want to spend the money on extraditing you. Knowing how serious Hall County treats DUIs, I would say it is likely. Not to mention you would have a bondsman after you. In any event, why would you want this hanging over your head the rest of your life? You need to deal with this. The case will not go away just because you disappear. DUIs can be contested in many, many ways. You may have a good defense. Don't make a rash decision. Discuss this with a lawyer. You can probably still move to take a job out of state, but you will need to return when your attorney tells you a court appearance requires your attendance.

2. Zachary Walter Procter

Pro

9

1

Answered . It is doubtful that you would be extradited for a misdemeanor, but a warrant could keep you from renewing your driver's license and could cause you problems when interacting with government agencies. You could also get picked up and held in the other state waiting to see if Georgia wanted to come get you. They could hold you for 10 days at a time. It is much better to deal with the charge than to take off.

3. Michael David Barber Jr.

7

1

Answered . If I understand your question are you asking if there will be consequences if you violate your bond and don't return. You should really consult with an attorney and at least get a free consultation. You may find that simply by doing so the attorney may be able to prevent you from becoming a wanted person.

4. Robert M. Gardner Jr.

6

1

Answered . They might, but the problem is going to be that this will impair your driver's license both here and in the state your are looking to move to. If you are looking to resolve the case prior to trial and save your license before you move, you can hire either our firm or another firm for less than the amount you stated in one of your comments. Beating the charge or having it reduced is also a possibility. Keep calling attorneys to find one who will work with you to get the slate cleaned before you move and so that this will not just dog you for years.

5. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

Pro

6

1

Answered . I doubt they would extradite you, but you would get your license suspended here which means you would not be able to get a license in the new jurisdiction, or if you did you would not be able to renew it in the future. Also, if you traveled outside of the country they would see the warrant when you came back through immigration, and they would hold you at a federal facility and extradite you back whenever they got around to it. If you applied for jobs, and they did a Georgia or a national background check they would see you have an active warrant for your arrest.

6. Dean George Tsourakis

Pro

6

Answered . I don't know if they would extradite you but a warrant could really complicate your life in numerous ways. Your dl would be suspended. You could be arrested and held numerouss times while the county decides whether or not they will extradite. Avoid the problems and hire a lawyer and resolve it. That is always the better course.

7. Christopher Irvin Simser

5

1

Answered . You will forfeit your bail. A warrant will be lodged against you. Sooner or later this will re-surface and you will regret not dealing with it in a responsible and timely manner.

See if you can do both - accept the job, but alert the court and make arrangements to protect yourself and your bail money. A qualified attorney can explain this too you far more fully, and can make certain appearances for you in court. If you have not done so already. consult with and retain such an attorney as quickly as you can.

Christopher I. Simser, Sr.
    Anelli Xavier
    Syracuse - Albany - Rochester - Buffalo
    1-800-DWI-TEAM