I have a court date for a possible marijuana paraphernalia charge, what is my worst case scenario?

Green Bay, WI |

I am an 18 year old girl with no prior criminal charges of any kind. I was out with some friends on our boat at dusk and was pulled over for having our docking lights on. There was beer on the boat, so I received an absolute sobriety charge, but was arrested for it. At the station, an officer said he found my pipe on the boat. I didn't even know it was on there, and had just bought it for tobacco, though he said he smelled marijuana on it. I now have a court date and they haven't told me if I am being charged with anything. I'm scared and just want to know what my worst case scenario would be? Thank you!

The maximum penalty for a possession of drug paraphernalia charge, if issued as a criminal offense, is $500 fine and 30 days in jail.

J Steven House

J Steven House

And a possible license suspension, though I believe that's rarely imposed in most jurisdictions these days.

You should really speak with an experienced attorney. If you have a court date, you apparently are being charged with something. Your best bet is to consult an attorney immediately. The worst case scenario as you inquire is dependent upon the charge(s).

Any answer is to be used as informational purposes only. No attorney/client relationship has been created. You should seek the advise of an attorney confidentially to further address your legal question and specific situation.

Was this in Brown County? If so, your worst case scenario is nowhere near the maximums. Honestly, I believe there might be some things to challenge, as you've laid them out. You should have an attorney to determine whether the facts support a challenge and to advise you of the process and the court that you will be before.