I have a copy of a police report that I can prove is fraudulent, to whom or where would I file a complaint?

Bakersfield, CA |

I finally got a copy of a police report but in the report it only referrers to 2 officers but in fact there was 3 officers. One of the Officers I know for a fact is a friend of my abusive husband's brother a lieutenant in Long Beach. The reporting officer states he is the Officer that talked to me along with his partner but the fact is the 2 local officers came to assist an Investigator from San Bernardino with the illegal taking of my truck (have video to prove there way 3 officers). The reporting officer makes the report out as if he was the officer talking to me when in fact he never talked to me the only one that did was the Investigator. What I did say isn't what he puts in the report. It mentions they called and talked to the investigator, but leaves the fact the invest was there.

1. First of all, have you been charged with a crime? If you have, talk to your lawyer. You might be causing problems in your case.

Even if charges haven't been filed, if you shake things up, it might prompt the DA to file something that otherwise wouldn't have been filed.

With that said, most police departments have a review board that investigates citizen complaints. You can contact the agency involved and ask how to file a citizen complaint.

One more thing... and I can't repeat this enough... if you already have an attorney in a criminal case, TALK TO YOUR LAWYER before you do anything!

Please understand that this is a general discussion of legal principles by a California lawyer and does not create an attorney/client relationship. It's impossible to give detailed, accurate advice based on a few sentences on a website (and you shouldn't provide too much specific information about your legal matter on a public forum like this site, anyway). You should always seek advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction who can give you an informed opinion after reviewing all of the relevant information.

2. You could always file a citizens complaint with the police department. However, I suspect that the police officers will back each other up and say that the report was accurate. By the way, why would they "illegally" take your truck? What are the cops doing to do with it? It wasn't being repossessed, was it?

The information and legal suggestions made herein do not in any way create an attorney-client relationship. The responses provided herein discuss general principles of law and should not be relied upon by the asker in making legal decisions. Only an attorney who has met with the asker and fully reviewed the facts and circumstances of the asker's individual case should be relied upon for legal advice. If you find my suggestions helpful, please mark the appropriate box as helpful.