I have a conditional green card,is applying for FAFSA have anything to do with my immigration status ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Tucson, AZ

Hi,my husband is a USC and i have a conditional green card now, i wanna go to school but i have to apply for both FSFSA financial aid and get a loan from a private bank as well, and i have been told that doing so is going to hurt my immigration status because i shouldn't be a public charge tell i am a USC!! i really don't understand this, could you please clarify that to me ? my husband was my sponsor for my AOS

1. Michael Hugh Carlin

3

1

Answered . Applying for financial aid does not make you a public charge.

2. C. C. Abbott

1

Best Answer

Answered . One of the most common questions from LPRs is what benefits are considered "a public charge" events for immigration purposes. I always suggest people read the USCIS comment on public charge - . http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem...

3. Kelsi Karim

1

Answered . There is a good explanation of who is eligible to apply for federal student loans on the FASFA website. I would suggest you to make a short appointment with an immigration attorney to discuss your immigration status and student loans.

4. J Charles Ferrari

2

1

Answered . FAFSA has no effect on immigration status. Immigration status can affect what financial aid you are eligible for.