I have a conditional green card,is applying for FAFSA have anything to do with my immigration status ?

Tucson, AZ |

Hi,my husband is a USC and i have a conditional green card now, i wanna go to school but i have to apply for both FSFSA financial aid and get a loan from a private bank as well, and i have been told that doing so is going to hurt my immigration status because i shouldn't be a public charge tell i am a USC!! i really don't understand this, could you please clarify that to me ? my husband was my sponsor for my AOS

One of the most common questions from LPRs is what benefits are considered "a public charge" events for immigration purposes. I always suggest people read the USCIS comment on public charge - . http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=775d23cbea6bf210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=8a2f6d26d17df110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

Great link, thank you . educational assistance is not a public charge, so how long does the public charge apply? tell i am a USC?

C. C. Abbott

C. C. Abbott

Usually once the alien has 40 quarters of work or naturalizes. The 40 quarters rule is provided in the following 9 FAM 40.41 N3.4-2 Aliens With 40 Quarters of Work Under the Social Security Act (SSA) (CT:VISA-1931; 10-10-2012) a. The requirement for visa petitioners to submit Form I-864: (1) Terminates once the sponsored alien has worked in the U.S. in a job covered under Title II of the Social Security Act (SSA); and (2) Can be credited with 40 qualifying quarters of coverage under Title II of the SSA.

FAFSA has no effect on immigration status. Immigration status can affect what financial aid you are eligible for.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Applying for financial aid does not make you a public charge.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

There is a good explanation of who is eligible to apply for federal student loans on the FASFA website. I would suggest you to make a short appointment with an immigration attorney to discuss your immigration status and student loans.