Skip to main content

I have a college degree and I cannot use it to obtain employment. Is there a way to remove the degree from my record?

Singer, LA |

One reason I am not getting job offer is because I am overqualified.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Aside from simply removing it from your resume, you can file academic bankruptcy with your degree granting institution, although I highly discourage you from doing so.

You have options for obtaining a job despite your degree. One way for doing so is to draft a carefully worded cover letter explaining that you are willing and content to accept a position below what your qualifications.

I would suggest you contact a local employment placement agency. They typically offer services for assisting with resume and cover letter drafting. If not, there are likely consultants in your area that will do so.

Filing academic bankruptcy is a drastic measure with major repercussions that you need to thoroughly mull over before proceeding. Keep in mind that if you file for academic bankruptcy, you will then only have a high school diploma and your options will be even more limited. You would also need to check and see if your college permits academic bankruptcy following the grant of a degree.

Information provided in this response is intended to be informational or educational only. It in no way establishes an attorney-client relationship. Because every case is factually dependent, it is not possible to accurately answer each question posed. If you have sincere legal concerns, it is highly recommended that you seek legal counsel in your area. Any response is not intended to create, nor does it create, a continuing duty to respond.



the degree is virtual death sentance


I agree with Attorney Garland, before giving up, revisit your resume, broaden the geographic and occupational areas in which you are looking for a position, and do not give up.

I am licensed in New Mexico and Pennsylvania, and therefore any discussion of issues related to other states must considered within that context. In addition, my comments are not intended to create a legal representation but merely to respond to the limited facts presented by the question. Any opinion herein is not meant as a precise statement of legal rights or as a recommendation of any particular course of action. A more complete legal review can be obtained through local counsel.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer