I have a clean record. However, I have recently been charged with breaking and entering in RI. If guilty will I serve time?

Providence, RI |

1. There isn't enough information provided here to give you an honest answer. In any event, your best chance of defending yourself against these charges is by retaining an attorney. I would advise against posting any more information about this on the internet, or even referencing it on any public forum. Speak privately with an attorney.

2. Speak in confidence with your public defender or private attorney - they are best situated to advise you.
    Do not waive your right to remain silent especially with public statements on the Internet.

This observation is provided without warranty nor guarantee and for entertainment and informational purposes only. This answer is not legal advice. Not to be used as infant formula. No attorney client relationship is established as a result of these communications. The best legal advice you can get is to consult with an attorney licensed in your state or territory.

3. B and E is a serious offense that often carries a jail term, despite your clean record. But jail is by no means a guarantee. Talk to your attorney. Privately.

The response I have provided is general in nature, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. My practice is based in Rhode Island, and the law and practice in other states or jurisdictions may be different.

4. There are too many variables you have not given (and should not give in a public forum like this). Your lawyer or public defender can help you.

I am giving you general information about the law. To give you legal advice I would first have to learn more about the facts and circumstances of your particular situation. (401) 383-7550 or jtlongo@citadelpc.com I am not your attorney and I am not giving legal advice. The Rhode Island Supreme Court licenses all lawyers in the general practice of law. The court does not license or certify any lawyer as an expert or specialist in any particular field of practice.