I have a civil union which changed over to same sex marriage in connecticut.

Me and her now been in this same.sex marriage now 8 years. We never talk we i left. That life wasnt for me. I was young an dumb. We where together 8 months and i left. Well three years after i left i married a man and a different state. And now i get a email saying she wants a divorce. And i dont know want to get into no trouble. What can i do.

West Plains, MO -

Find Out More

John Joseph Westerhaus

John Joseph Westerhaus

Business Attorney - Olathe, KS

Bigamy is illegal in all fifty states (meaning that you cannot be validly married to two different people at once), and usually has the effect of making the second marriage void -- in other words, your marriage to the second spouse NEVER HAPPENED. However, same-sex marriages aren't recognized as legitimate in every state, either by statute or state Constitutional amendment . . . so the answer is tricky.

Basically, it's a confusing issue, with lots of changes underfoot because there are state/federal implications that are changing every day (The federal law DOMA's constitutionality, for example, is currently under consideration by the United States Supreme Court).

I suggest you talk to a family law specialist to get a concrete answer (i.e. not me), and I have recategorized your question to get their attention. If I were going to give you my best guess, though, I would say the safest way to deal with this is to finalize your divorce in Connecticut with your spouse there, and then re-marry your husband in Missouri AFTER that divorce is final. There's a chance that your marriage to your husband isn't valid, and Missouri doesn't recognize common-law marriages, but it's also possible you have to do nothing. The specialist should be able to advise you further.

M. Todd Miller

M. Todd Miller

Family Law Attorney - Jefferson City, MO

Contact a family law attorney in your area to sit and discuss at length. Too many holes in your query to give a full answer. My suspicion is that your same-sex marriage occurred before states recognized it but it's just a guess without reviewing documentation.