I have a child support case next week.Does the court accept a notarized letter from my father for child care expenses?

Asked over 1 year ago - Astoria, NY

I am the mother and I have custody.I have to work full time and my father is babysitting my 2 kids (10 years old for after school and my 4 years old).I am paying him $180.00 cash per week.

1. Ralph Duthely

9

1

Best Answer

Answered . The court would likely accept the letter for purposes of calculating child care expenses. It is somewhat problematic that it is from your father because one could easily get a family member to write such a letter. If the court feels that the amount you are paying is not unreasonable (and it doesn't appear to be), then it shouldn't be a problem. Note, however, that if the matter is not settled and there is a trial, the letter would probably not be admitted into evidence. Your father would likely have to come in and testify and be subject to cross-examination.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

10

Answered . Depends on the court. They may if it is Family Court.

3. Morghan L Richardson

Pro

5

1

Answered . In Queens Family Court they will most likely take it - but if the Respondent objects, you may have to bring your father in to testify. Good luck!