I have a cerebral palsy case for my twins, they are now three years old. The scheduled deposition is may 4th, is the case over?

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

Cerebral palsy case...

1. Joseph Jonathan Brophy

10

1

Answered . Your case is far from over. Your deposition will be the first of several. It is not unusual to take depositions of all several doctors, nurses and technicians after the parent's deposition. Cerebral palsy cases are very time consuming. Typically these cases can take up to five years to bring to a conclusion. I am very concerned that you are even asking this question. You need to communicate with your lawyer.

2. Gregory Scott Gennarelli

Pro

8

1

Answered . No. A deposition is part of the Discovery process. The defendants in your case are entitled to ask you questions about the claim, your pregnancy, the medical treatment of your twins, and how they are doing now, as well as numerous other questions. You should really speak with your attorney in depth before you appear for your deposition to prepare you and so that you know what to expect. After your deposition, your attorney will get to question the defendants at a deposition as well. Call your attorney, who should know your case better than anyone.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

6

1

Answered . No. It is part of the discovery process. Discuss the matter with your lawyer.

4. David B Pittman

Pro

6

1

Answered . No. A deposition is just part of the process of getting a case ready for trial. It sounds like you need to have a sit down with your lawyer to get more educated on the process so you know more of what to expect. The attorney should also make sure that you are fully prepared if they are taking your deposition.

Pro

5

1

Answered . No. You are in the discovery phase. Trial will be a ways off. For those reading this question, more information on cerebral palsy lawsuits can be found on my website.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  6. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

3

1

Answered . No a deposition is part of the discovery phase of the case. There will be medical exams of the children. Speak with your personal injury/ medical malpractice lawyer to go over the preliminary conference order. That way you will know the schedule of what is going to happen.

7. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . A deposition is merely one step in the "discovery" process of any lawsuit. Your deposition is a time for the defendants to discover what you know about the case and how your children and you and your spouse have been affected by the alleged malpractice.

I assume that you have an attorney. I suggest you speak with your attorney as soon as possible and ask him or her to review with you the various stages of your lawsuit and what you should be expecting in the future. I am sure your attorney will also wish to work extensively with you to prepare you for your deposition in May. Call your attorney.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  8. Joseph Gerard Dell

Pro

Answered . The depositions are a sign that you are about midway through the litigation of your children's malpractice case. There will be depositions of the physicians nurses and perhaps hospital employees after your deposition. There will be further discovery after the depositions. The defendants will have your children examined. Your lawyers may want a day in the life film done of your children so that a future jury can see what your children and you go through everyday. Call your lawyers. Go sit down with them and have them explain the remaining course the case should take. Keep an open line of communication with your lawyers and ask questions. You are entitled to ask and get answers. Good luck I hope that you are truly successful for your children.