Skip to main content


Miami, FL |
Filed under: Wage garnishment

does this mean that the funds that were taken need to be returned?

Attorney Answers 2


Probably, but you cannot rely on docket entries alone. You should proceed to the court and ask view the court file. If it's still unclear make a copy to show an attorney. Probably a good idea to get a copy any way once you are there.

The law is complicated and although the facts expressed may seem to be all that is relevant, there may be many other important facts to consider. Also, the law is constantly undergoing change, so what may be correct today, may not be accurate tomorrow. Only a full consultation with an attorney experienced or knowledgeable in the specific legal subject matter is likely to result in the optimal course of action. My practice has entailed more than a 30 year span of many real estate, personal property, and bankruptcy issues. Find out more about me at:

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Once you review the actual document, if it says what you think it does, it could not hurt for you to take a certified copy of the dissolution of the writ to a branch of your bank to expedite getting the back to release the funds to you.

It also would be a good idea to remove the funds and put them into another banking institution entirely, one that your creditor would not know about.

I hope you found this response to be helpful. If so, your clicking "helpful" and/or "best answer" helps my Avvo rating and would be appreciated. This answer shall not be considered rendering legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. Avvo is a wonderful resource but nothing can substitute for an in-depth consultation face-to-face with a lawyer. The response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.

Mark as helpful

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics