I have a case that has not been settled on yet, in respect to fees. If my case is litigated, does ex atty have righT to arbrt?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

Yes, I have a case as well. A personal injury case in which the attorney failed to give vital info regarding the case to me.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Constantine D. Buzunis

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your question is very vague and incomplete? It seems you have a PI case and you fired your attorney and now your case has resolved and you are asking if your former lawyer has a right to arbitrate whether they are entitled to any fee or payment? Certianly they are entitled to be reimbursed for any out of pocket costs they advanced to you for work that was authorized, such as filing fees, deposition costs, postage, etc. You need to look at the fee agreement and see what it says about whether the fee dispute is to be resolved via arbitration or court litigation? The CA. State Bar Association has a Arbitration Fee Dispute Resolution program which is quick and easy if you choose to do it that way? There is always the opportunity to try and reach an agreement with lawyer on a compromise of the outstanding fees? Good Luck.

    Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.... more
  2. Adrienne Patricia Allen

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Duplicate question. See http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/what-options-...

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general... more
  3. David B Pittman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Look at the retainer agreement you signed and call the state bar for advice. You should think about obtaining new counsel if your case has not settled if you are uncomfortable with your current lawyer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,188 answers this week

2,918 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,188 answers this week

2,918 attorneys answering