I have a case that has not been settled on yet, in respect to fees. If my case is litigated, does ex atty have righT to arbrt?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

Yes, I have a case as well. A personal injury case in which the attorney failed to give vital info regarding the case to me.

1. Constantine D. Buzunis

3

Answered . Your question is very vague and incomplete? It seems you have a PI case and you fired your attorney and now your case has resolved and you are asking if your former lawyer has a right to arbitrate whether they are entitled to any fee or payment? Certianly they are entitled to be reimbursed for any out of pocket costs they advanced to you for work that was authorized, such as filing fees, deposition costs, postage, etc. You need to look at the fee agreement and see what it says about whether the fee dispute is to be resolved via arbitration or court litigation? The CA. State Bar Association has a Arbitration Fee Dispute Resolution program which is quick and easy if you choose to do it that way? There is always the opportunity to try and reach an agreement with lawyer on a compromise of the outstanding fees? Good Luck.

2. Adrienne Patricia Allen

2

Answered . Duplicate question. See http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/what-options-...

3. David B Pittman

Pro

3

1

Answered . Look at the retainer agreement you signed and call the state bar for advice. You should think about obtaining new counsel if your case has not settled if you are uncomfortable with your current lawyer.