Skip to main content

I have a case I believe gives me my citizenship. It is a Derivative citizenship case.

Elizabeth, NJ |

2006 I was deported. I find out here I was adopted (secret my entire family kept) My adoptive mom became a citizen when I was 8 yrs old. I was legally in the USA at this time as a legal resident (green card) My mom adopted me alone meaning she wasn't married at the time of the adoption. Is this a case worth fighting for? It gets better... but I would like to discuss this with an attorney that specializes in these type of cases, since I am here (in this country) for trusting a lawyer that wasn't all up to par about this case.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. How was your prior attorney to know that you were adopted when you yourself admit that it was kept a secret even from you?

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  2. You should apply for a US passport and return to the U.S. You should also reopen the removal proceedings.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  3. I agree with Mr. Berman, you should apply for a U.S. passport and get an attorney to reopen the removal proceedings. If you are a U.S. citizen you should have never been removed. Contact an immigration attorney in your area.

    Gabriela M. Lopez, Esq.

  4. This is a complex set of facts - you should consult with an experienced attorney to review the facts.

    VOSBIKIAN & VOSBIKIAN, L.L.C. (856) 755-1400, e-mail: - Offices in Atlantic City, Cherry Hill, Newark, and Trenton, NJ. Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please visit and share this site:

  5. IT does sound like you are a citizen (assuming you lived with your adoptive mother for at least two years and the adoption was valid). Proofs will be important and necessary. You ask if it's worth fighting for...of course it is. It is US citizenship. If you are looking for the right lawyer you need to call or contact directly to find one familiar with your issues who you trust (and can afford).

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics