I have a boundary (on the property line) Willow tree that its roots are causing property damage.

Asked over 1 year ago - Lake Oswego, OR

I have had a Cert . Arborist letter stating the tree must be removed to prevent future damage . The tree roots have entered under my home , broke into the low point drain , broke rain drains and now afraid it is attacking an in ground swimming pool . I have tried to talk to neighbor and he will not allow the tree to be cut down . The home is going up for sale this summer and I will have to disclose and most likely will diminish the value of my home if not rectified . What next ?

1. J Christopher Minor

1

Answered . I believer there are court decisions supporting the right of an adjacent landowner to cut the branches of a tree which intrudes onto his property. I suspect the same rule applies to roots, but I am not aware of any decisions on roots.

I think the practical problem is trying to get at the roots to sever them, and the fact that removing them may kill the tree. I suggest you contact a property lawyer in your area. The lawyer might inform the neighbor of your intent to sever the roots, and a contact from a lawyer may convince the neighbor that you are serious, and get some response.

2. Orion Jacob Nessly

Answered . It sounds like it's time to consult a real estate attorney. Property disputes like this can be very difficult and emotion-fueled and people are often not reasonable when it comes to their own property (remember that saying about a man's home being his castle), even if they are in the wrong. Hopefully, a good real estate attorney can negotiate a settlement without dragging this into court, but you'll need to know about the liabilities, potential claims, and damages involved. If negotiation doesn't work, then the next step is probably filing a civil suit for injunctive relief and money damages.

3. Michael T Millar

Pro

Answered . I am not an OR attorney, laws vary from state to state, you should therefore consult a local attorney.
    As a general rule, you are allowed to cut any branches or roots that are on your propert.

Gostina v Ryland, 199 P. 298 (Wash. 1921): "One adjoining owner cannot maintain an action against another for the intrusion of roots or branches of a tree which is not poisonous or noxious in its nature. His remedy in such cases is to clip or lop off the branches or cut the roots at the line."