I have a binary library licensed under MIT (DLL), I don't have its source code, can I use it inside my GPL application?

Mountain View, CA |

I've released a GPL project and I found a useful MIT binary library. But the files I got didn't contain the source. Searched everywhere but no source at all. Can I use it with my GPL project? The overall combination work would be under GPL, my code under GPL, binary library under MIT. I'm just concerned about the requirement to provide source code for the combined work (GPL) since I can't provide the source code for the MIT library.

Good question. Rephrased a bit, and using the language of the GPL, your question is whether the GPL can be applied to a Program when its author does not convey all of the Program's source code.

I don't know the answer. But I can point you in the right direction.

You can read the GPL here: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
You can also subscribe to a very good legal and business question and answer site called Quara [at quara.com] and read the answers to very closely related questions [see http://www.quora.com/Does-the-MIT-license-require-attribution-in-a-binary-only-distribution and click on the "related questions" link on the right].

The above is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.

Don't see this is highly relevant. None of them talk about MIT. I do know that you're required to make the whole licensed under GPL. But you can comply with GPL and provide the source code for the MIT part if you don't have it.

Sorry, I meant to say how can you comply with GPL when you don't have the source code for the MIT licensed binary?

Daniel Nathan Ballard

Daniel Nathan Ballard

You don't think the GPL terms are relevant to whether the GPL applies to the program you want to license under the GPL? And you don't think a forum discussion about the MIT license for its code is relevant to whether you can include that code in your program? Really? I wish you well. But find someone else to annoy.

Yes, the GPL is relevant but that doesn't stop thousands of questions about it. The URL you linked to talks about the MIT, I already know that the MIT does not require distributing the source code and requires attribution of the MIT licensed code with the binary. What is not clear is weather a MIT licensed binary without source code is linkable from within a GPL project or not. That's a totally different question.