I have a bench warrant for driving without insurance...if I turn myself in what should I aspect.

Asked over 2 years ago - Rockville, MD

a court date was sent to my old address and I was not even aware I was suppose to go to court thought that I just needed to get insurance.

1. William Lawrence Welch III

2

Answered . Provided that you have no record and no prior failures to appear, the Commissioner might release you on your own recognizance. However, any prior failure to appear, regardless of the reason, probation, parole, or another pending charge might change things resulitng in a bail. You can check whether bail has be preset for bench warrants by looking up your case at Maryland Judiciary Case Search.

You should make arrangements for someone to post your bail before you surrender, and you should keep in mind that judges only hear bail reviews Monday through Friday. Accordingly, surrender Sunday through Thursday, so that you do not prolong detention, in the event that you need to have the court review the Commissioner's decision.

2. Shawn A Gritz

1

Answered . It is a jailable offense so your failure to appear resulted in the warrant for your arrest. An attorney in this situation can possibly have that warrant stricken or you can turn yourself in. I would suggest that you immediately contact an attorney because timing is critical with these. You do not want to turn yorself in on Friday afternoon or get arrested over teh weekend. If you do, there is a risk of sitting in jail until Monday. 301-980-5930

3. David Keith Felsen

Pro

1

Answered . This is not an unusual circumstance. Many people miss their court dates. Depending on the facts of your case, there may be a way to resolve the matter without you having to "turn yourself in." An experienced attorney can work with you to see if it is possible to rescind the bench warrant, and reset the trial date. That seems like a more favorable option to going to the police, getting processed and possibly posting a bond. Your comment that you thought you just needed to get insurance will probably have an effect in the determination of the merits in the case, but right now you need to be concerned with the procedural part of dealing with the Bench Warrant.

4. Andrew V Jezic

1

Answered . Hello I should contact an experienced attorney soon, and that attorney will do a Motion to Withdraw Warrant, explaining the compelling circumstances that you have outlined. Most judges will withdraw the warrant without you having to turn yourself in.

Andrew Jezic