I have a bench warrant for a dui in NY

Asked over 3 years ago - Palm Springs, CA

I have never had one before, was under an overwhelming amount of stress,forgot court date and left state, found I had a bench warrant and Im currently in California. Is there any way I can handle this in this state, I don't care If I lose my license.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Hussein Ali Chahine

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . The answer to your question is no. You need to contact an attorney licensed to practice and does practice in New York to handle this matter. Good luck.

  2. Jason Chase Beahm


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Like the other two attorneys suggested, you should re-post this question in the New York forum.


    Jason Beahm
    Beahm Law

  3. Robert Lee Marshall

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . California courts do not have jurisdiction over a New York case.

    You should contact a New York attorney. You may also want to post your question in the New York section of Avvo.

    You might also call the court and ask if there is a way to clear it up. If it's a simple infraction, you might just be able to pay a fine; however, DUI offenses are usually misdemeanors.

    California law allows a lawyer to appear on the client's behalf in most misdemeanor matters. A New York criminal defense attorney could tell you if there are similar provisions in New York law.

    Failing to handle the New York DUI could also lead to a drivers license suspension, even in California.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,660 answers this week

2,978 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,660 answers this week

2,978 attorneys answering