I have a bench warrant for 2 parking tickets in MN. If I need to get a replacement DL, will I get arrested trying to get the DL?

Minneapolis, MN |

I have 2 unpaid parking tickets from this spring in MN, and got a letter saying there was a bench warrant. I'm hired at a new job - which I'll need to pay the tickets - but can't start without my Drivers License, which I lost. If I go to the Minnesota DMV for a replacement license, would they call they police for parking tickets?

What strikes me as odd is that they issued bench warrants for parking tickets. If there are actually warrants, you should be able to post a minimal bail or just pay the fines to cancel the warrants. You might consider calling the district court administrator for details. Otherwise, it would serve you well to retain an attorney to help you through this process.

Do not rely on this information. This post does not create an attorney client relationship. Please contact me directly to receive formal legal advice regarding your situation.

Alex De Marco

Alex De Marco

I in particular agree bench warrants for parking tickets is weird, and something you likely can clear up yourself.

Your predicament is all the more reason to get counsel. The fear is the arrest and you cannot avoid it forever.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida. If you wish to contact the above attorney, see his profile at this website.

Due to your fear and the stakes so high for you, I urge you to have attorney assistance in resolving all of this.

TWIN CITIES to ST CLOUD. Do seek legal counsel for your personal legal issues and needs. This post is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This post is to be considered general information which may or may not apply to your personal situation.

Honestly man you can just pay the tickets by phone before you even get here and that's it. It's not complicated. But yes, you show up at the DMV window with parking warrant, they're gonna notice.

I am presuming that you need the DL for employment verification on the I-9. If you have one of the other acceptable forms of ID to establish employment it may be a way to achieve what you want and allow you to get the job and pay the fines asap. Here is the link to acceptable forms of identification: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-9.pdf

In any event you need to get the fines paid and warrant taken care of.