Skip to main content

I have a bench warrant and want to get it resolved!

Phoenix, AZ |

got a dui charge 3 years ago, went to jail, but didnt pay the fine or go to classes..i currently have bench warrant and want to pay it off and settle the problem is that i owe $2111 and im wondering if i should pay it in full so they dont arrest me on the spot, or, if i am able to see the judge and have him put me on a payment plan and dismiss the warrant?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Resolving this matter is the right thing to do, how to go about it is another question. You could always retain and attorney to assist you or you can deal with this own your own. If you are dealing with it on your own the first thing you want to do is call the court and schedule a walk in appearance to request the court quash the bench warrant. If the court allows this, the Judge will do one of two things at that hearing, either handle the matter or set it for another court date. If the court does not allow you to walk in to deal with the warrant you may have to self surrender.

Because you did not complete the counseling classes you are at risk for the Judge requiring you serve additional jail time and I presume the Judge is going to want an explanation as to why you didn't handle this three years ago. With respect to the payments, although it is possible that the Judge will allow you to go onto a payment plan, if you can pay the money up front you will put yourself into a better position with the court. Good luck to you on this issue.

Nothing in this web post constitutes legal advice. If you have a legal question please see my main site at <a href="">Phoenix DUI and Criminal Lawyer David M Cantor</a> or call 602-307-0808.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer