I have a asylee status,got approved 8 months ago.I need to travel

Asked 11 months ago - Bellflower, CA

I am thinking of travelling to Europe(not my home country). My passport has expired.I have applied for travelled document too, Is it important to have a passport while travelling along with refugee travel travel document? Can i renew my passport just incase i need it knowing the facts that i cannot use my national passport after i have been approved for asylum.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

1

Answered . Go ahead and renew your national passport. Realistically speaking, you will have extreme difficulty obtaining visas to European countries on a refugee document.

2. Boris Alexander Palant

1

1

Answered . I would use RTD only. While a number of my clients have used their own passports without any problems the authorities may frown upon your using your passport because by doing so you place yourself under protection of the country you sought asylum from.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

Answered . Right now you have a 'split decision' from my colleagues.

Normally I fully support Mr. Behar's opinions. But, in this case, even though he's correct in stating that a RTD makes it difficult to get a Schengen Visa ... I would be concerned about you renewing a passport of the country you claimed you feared.

I would suggest the RTD .. and a Schengen application as the safest course of action.

Plus, it is always wise to have an attorney help you.