I have a 5 year old felony conviction. I am on supervised release. Can I get my federal arrest record expunged?

Asked over 4 years ago - Chicago, IL

I did 24 month in federal prison and I have 8 month left on supervised release. This is my first and only conviction and I have a very large restitution.

Additional information

I know that you can't get a felony expunged in the state of illinois but what about your federal arrest record? You can get your state and city arrest record expunged, but what about FEDERAL ARREST RECORD not your felony conviction?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You are going to need a Presidential pardon.Ordinarily, you must serve out your sentence in full, including any term of probation or parole, before you will be considered.28 C.F.R. ยงยง 1.1 et seq., a minimum waiting period of five years after completion of sentence is required before anyone convicted of a federal offense becomes eligible to apply for a presidential

    I agree with my colleague's fine answer, tthere is no mechanism for expungement of a federal conviction.

  2. John Leif Fossum

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . No. The only way path to clearing a federal felony is a Presidential pardon. There is no federal expungement process.

    This response is for informational purposes only and is not offered as legal advice.

  3. Peter J Tomao

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Unfortunately, obtaining a federal pardon is a lengthy and uncertain process. Good luck.
    THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

Related Topics

Felony crime

A felony is a crime that is punishable by more than one year in prison. Certain especially severe felonies may be punishable by the death sentence.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,113 answers this week

2,996 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,113 answers this week

2,996 attorneys answering