I have a 4 year old, deferred, dismissed dui charge in the state of New Mexico.

Asked over 3 years ago - Las Cruces, NM

I completed all the classes and community service necessary. I have a completely clean and spectacular record otherwise. My question is why this deferred, dismissed sentence comes up on my criminal background check and if there is anything I can do about it. I am trying to get a job, yet I know every time they run my record, they see this and it effects me.

I also have a friend who received a dui and too, got a deferred, dismissed sentence yet her dui is NOT on her criminal record, just her driving record. Why is this different for me, and can I do anything to have a clean criminal record?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Adult trying to move forward with her life.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Erick Masten Platten


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Hello there,

    You need to speak with an attorney in your area to determine if there is a process in your state to keep this from showing up on your record.

    This is known as having your record expunged or sealed.


    Erick Platten

  2. David Michael Cantor


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Depending on the state and the conviction is going to depend on how it shows up on your criminal record. I would suggest you contact a lawyer in your area to speak with about this issue. In some states you can have your criminal record expunged after a certain amount of time which would be very beneficial for you. In other states, like Arizona, the best you can get is a set aside however that is better than the conviction alone. Hopefully a lawyer in your area can assist you with moving on with life and putting this conviction behind you.

    Nothing in this web post constitutes legal advice. If you have a legal question please see my main site at more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,504 answers this week

3,030 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,504 answers this week

3,030 attorneys answering