I have a 3 family, My tennants currently pay 2100 a month for rent, I would like to raise them to 2500 due to rising expenses

Asked 9 months ago - Brooklyn, NY

I would like to raise them, They have been living there for approx 22 years. Its a private 3 family, Its not rent controlled/stabolized. Their lease has been up for over 1 year. I am giving them 60 days notice for the rent increase. I am in brooklyn, N.Y. I will provide them with a letter for the rent increase and its explanation in expenses- is there anything else I need to do? Thank you.

1. Steven Warren Smollens

3

Best Answer

Answered . Dear Brooklyn Landlord:

If your three family building is properly registered with the City as a multiple dwelling, and the last lease expired, as long as your long term tenant agrees to the rent increase, there is no formal form of notice required.

The tenancy is considered month to month and is governed by the terms and conditions of the last expired lease.

If your tenant turns down your offer will you negotiate or terminate the tenancy and start an eviction proceeding? There is some value in having a stable relationship with the tenant.

2. Peter J Weinman

Pro

2

1

Answered . Not unless there's an old lease (from years ago) that prescribed some other method.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

1

Answered . They are holdover tenants so the old lease applies. Read it to what it says abour increases.