I have a 3 family, My tennants currently pay 2100 a month for rent, I would like to raise them to 2500 due to rising expenses

Asked 9 months ago - Brooklyn, NY

I would like to raise them, They have been living there for approx 22 years. Its a private 3 family, Its not rent controlled/stabolized. Their lease has been up for over 1 year. I am giving them 60 days notice for the rent increase. I am in brooklyn, N.Y. I will provide them with a letter for the rent increase and its explanation in expenses- is there anything else I need to do? Thank you.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Steven Warren Smollens

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Dear Brooklyn Landlord:

    If your three family building is properly registered with the City as a multiple dwelling, and the last lease expired, as long as your long term tenant agrees to the rent increase, there is no formal form of notice required.

    The tenancy is considered month to month and is governed by the terms and conditions of the last expired lease.

    If your tenant turns down your offer will you negotiate or terminate the tenancy and start an eviction proceeding? There is some value in having a stable relationship with the tenant.

    The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should... more
  2. Peter J Weinman


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Not unless there's an old lease (from years ago) that prescribed some other method.

    I'm just 3 "helpful" answers away from a free toaster-oven! I may be guessing or not licensed in your state. No... more
  3. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . They are holdover tenants so the old lease applies. Read it to what it says abour increases.

    The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal... more

Related Topics

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,365 answers this week

2,424 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,365 answers this week

2,424 attorneys answering