I have a 23 year old daughter and need to file for guardianship because she has cerebral palsy. Who do I contact?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Tipp City, OH

She is functioning at about a three year old level. My husband and I need to know how to get the process in motion to gain guardianship over her. We were also told that we could only assign one guardian, not both of her parents, is that accurate? Due to my husband working outside the house and I being home with her the majority of the time, I would be the one taking her to appointments, therefore we would both like to be guardians of her. She has medical issues that need to be addressed soon so we need to get this in order.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Elizabeth Smith Schmitz

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . You need to contact your local probate court. Whether you both can serve will depend on the probate judge.

    You should have a probate attorney assist you throught the process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,638 answers this week

2,630 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,638 answers this week

2,630 attorneys answering