I have a 2 yrs old son and living with the father for 3 yrs already. I am LPR married for 2 years to him.

Asked over 1 year ago - Leesburg, VA

In 6 months I can become citizen and want to adjust the status of my husband as soon as i get the citizenship. He did not get to USA as tourist he enter without visa.
My first question is if I apply to regularize his status will that count as married more than 2 years with a citizen or the time counts since i became citizen.
Can he wait for his residence here or he must go to Chile to wait for his residence.

1. F. J. Capriotti III

4

Best Answer

Answered . Mr. Ferrari is correct. I don't see eligibility for adjustment (regularize as you call it) without:

1. The law changing, or
    2. Him leaving the US to get a visa in Chile.

2. J Charles Ferrari

5

1

Answered . The length of marriage has nothing to do with immigration status. He can only adjust status in the US if he either entered with a valid visa or qualifies for 245(i). Otherwise, he will have to finish the process in his home country after obtaining the necessary waivers.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

3. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

5

1

Answered . CONSULT with an excellent immigration attorney and ask them about the I-601A provisional waiver. You may or may not be able to qualify for this waiver which requires extreme hardship etc. Do NOT do anything without consulting with several attorneys. For more on the provisional waiver goto
    uscis.gov/provisionalwaiver

One or more answers have been taken down.
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now