I have a 2 yrs old son and living with the father for 3 yrs already. I am LPR married for 2 years to him.

Asked over 1 year ago - Leesburg, VA

In 6 months I can become citizen and want to adjust the status of my husband as soon as i get the citizenship. He did not get to USA as tourist he enter without visa.
My first question is if I apply to regularize his status will that count as married more than 2 years with a citizen or the time counts since i became citizen.
Can he wait for his residence here or he must go to Chile to wait for his residence.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Mr. Ferrari is correct. I don't see eligibility for adjustment (regularize as you call it) without:

    1. The law changing, or
    2. Him leaving the US to get a visa in Chile.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . The length of marriage has nothing to do with immigration status. He can only adjust status in the US if he either entered with a valid visa or qualifies for 245(i). Otherwise, he will have to finish the process in his home country after obtaining the necessary waivers.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . CONSULT with an excellent immigration attorney and ask them about the I-601A provisional waiver. You may or may not be able to qualify for this waiver which requires extreme hardship etc. Do NOT do anything without consulting with several attorneys. For more on the provisional waiver goto

    No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication. To contact this attorney see his... more
One or more answers have been taken down.
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now