I have 5 felonies on my record from when I lived in Illinois. Can I get them expunged or sealed?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Deltona, FL

I was arrested twice. First time in 1986 that resulted in 2 felonies. The other 3 are from 2001.

1. Jimmy Allen Davis

9

1

Answered . The requirements for getting your records sealed or expunged vary from state to state. Since your felonies were in Illinois, you would have to work through the process with that state. If you need legal assistance, I recommend you contact an attorney licensed to practice in that state.

I have included a site for you to review from that state which you may find helpful. Links appear to be included to find attorneys who may assist you.

2. William David Umansky

Pro

6

1

Answered . I wish we could answer your question but you need to contact a lawyer in Illinois. Mr. Sachs is from evanston so you may want to consult with him to see if there is any other options if you can not seal your record. Good luck!

3. Joshua Sachs

7

1

Answered . Illinois does not permit convictions to be expunged. A few types of Class 4 felonies can be sealed. You can get some good general background information on the website of the Illinois State Appellate Defender. Look under "exppungement."

4. Mark H Randall

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with my AVVO colleagues' answers.