I have 5 felonies on my record from when I lived in Illinois. Can I get them expunged or sealed?

Deltona, FL |

I was arrested twice. First time in 1986 that resulted in 2 felonies. The other 3 are from 2001.

1. The requirements for getting your records sealed or expunged vary from state to state. Since your felonies were in Illinois, you would have to work through the process with that state. If you need legal assistance, I recommend you contact an attorney licensed to practice in that state.

I have included a site for you to review from that state which you may find helpful. Links appear to be included to find attorneys who may assist you.

DISCLAIMER This answer is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between any user/reader and The Law Offices of Jimmy Allen Davis, P.L.. We encourage and welcome you to contact us about your legal problems and visit our website at www.lawofficesofjimmyallendavis.com or email me at jimmy.davis.esq@gmail.com.

2. Illinois does not permit convictions to be expunged. A few types of Class 4 felonies can be sealed. You can get some good general background information on the website of the Illinois State Appellate Defender. Look under "exppungement."

3. I wish we could answer your question but you need to contact a lawyer in Illinois. Mr. Sachs is from evanston so you may want to consult with him to see if there is any other options if you can not seal your record. Good luck!

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-588-6714 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at bill@thelawman.net and put AVVO in the subject line.

4. I agree with my AVVO colleagues' answers.