I have 3000 in speeding tickets in fla they are in collections Can I negotiate a lesser amount How will I know its paid in full?

Stuart, FL |

my license is revoked for driving with license suspended. I want to start paying but the collection agency wants over 5000.00. How do I know that there isn't any hidden fee's and that they accepted my payment as paid in full, do I need a lawyer? I don't have a lot of money.

That has to be a record. See if Martin Co. clerk has a driver program like Miami where you can pay a smaller fee and do some community service hours, jump through some hoops and at least get a hardship license.

What you have to be careful of is that the collection agency could sue you, garnish your wages, or maybe try to levy your bank account. The problem with paying the collection agency is that it does not guarantee you will get your license back. In fact, you money would be better spent paying the Clerk. So, you can owe money to both of them, but only one of them can give you a license and the other one can make you broke.

Whatever you pay to the clerk and keep record of it.

3.000! wow & did the collections add 2,000 more??

Contact the Collection Agency and see if they are willing to work with you. Once the cases are turned over to the collection agency the Court may not want to work with you.

Royce Brent Bishop

Royce Brent Bishop

That is true also . . .you just want to make sure you don't end up paying the same debt twice. You don't want to pay collection agency and the clerk won't give you a license, but you don't want to pay the clerk and they tell you now go pay the collection agency. And yes most collection agencies are willing to settle. I would try to get things in writing, but they probably won't do it.

Many times the Judge will reopen these cases and work out a more manageable amount, but on the other hand, some Judges will not do that.

Contact a traffic lawyer who is familiar with the local court practices in your area.

Avvo.com answers provided solely for informational purposes. Answers are not legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. If you are seeking legal advice, contact a competent attorney in your local jurisdiction. Learn more about my practice at www.drivenlegal.com.