I have 3 DWI i was only convicted of one but still have 2 open but that was 10 year ago did not go to court

Asked almost 2 years ago - Henderson, NC

my life has change and mi a hold different person i was young and stupid then now mi missing out on job and family opportunity what can i do if anything

1. J. Patrick Williams

Answered . I agree with the above attorney. Depending on the time that elapsed between the DWI charges, you could face stiff penalties. However, you will never be able to obtain a valid license until you resolve these charges and leaving the charges unresolved can prevent you from securing employment. I'd advise you to take care of these charges so you can move on with your life without continually looking over your shoulder.

2. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

1

Answered . mi? as in Michigan?
    If you did not go to court, chances are that the cases are still open and there are warrants out for you. If so, contact a lawyer where the cases were charged to see what you can do to resolve them.

The advice may be to let sleeping dogs lie, but this is unlikely. Old warrants have a way of waking up and biting at the most inconvenient times.

3. John J. Carney

Pro

Answered . Many jurisdictions have a statute of limitations on crimes of 5 years. If you abscond it may stop the time period from running or the judge may ask the prosecutor if he used "due diligence" to locate you. If the prosecutor cannot prove that he used due diligence to locate you then the case may be dismissed. You should retain a good lawyer and try to surrender before they find you. The cases may be too old to prosecute or the witnesses, such as the police officer may not be available .