Skip to main content

I have 2 DUI & I need to renew my green card in 2014 . Will this affect my green card renew process , or citizenship ?

Alameda, CA |

Before my two DUI I had a clean driving record . I've been in the states since I was 4 and my dad was born here and is a citizen . Can someone please help .

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Yes it probably will. Retain an experienced DUI attorney who possibly can obtain a not guilty finding.Make sure the criminal defense lawyer discusses the matter with your immigration lawyer.

    Jonathan N. Portner, Esquire, Portner & Shure, P.A. Maryland and Virginia Personal Injury Attorneys. This response is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This response should not be relied upon. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm

  2. I would consult an immigration lawyer but you can get citizenship as long as you aren't on formal probation. There will most likely be more hoops for you to jump through, however.

  3. The answer is it depends. Section 237 of the INA contains a long list of offenses that, if convicted, may make an alien deportable. A California DUI conviction could fall into three of the categories of deportable offenses. It is important to speak to an immigration attorney about your specific situation, and a DUI defense attorney to fight the charges.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics