I have 2 DUI & I need to renew my green card in 2014 . Will this affect my green card renew process , or citizenship ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Alameda, CA

Before my two DUI I had a clean driving record . I've been in the states since I was 4 and my dad was born here and is a citizen . Can someone please help .

1. Edgar J. Reynoso

Pro

1

6

Answered . The answer is it depends. Section 237 of the INA contains a long list of offenses that, if convicted, may make an alien deportable. A California DUI conviction could fall into three of the categories of deportable offenses. It is important to speak to an immigration attorney about your specific situation, and a DUI defense attorney to fight the charges.

2. Christopher Paul Sohovich

Pro

3

Answered . I would consult an immigration lawyer but you can get citizenship as long as you aren't on formal probation. There will most likely be more hoops for you to jump through, however.

3. Jonathan Neal Portner

Pro

3

Answered . Yes it probably will. Retain an experienced DUI attorney who possibly can obtain a not guilty finding.Make sure the criminal defense lawyer discusses the matter with your immigration lawyer.