I have 1 child I pay max support for.Might be sued for support on another, what would I have to pay? See details please.

Asked over 2 years ago - Frederick, MD

I have a child that I currently pay support on, of which I've been told is at the 'maximum' amount I could pay according to guidelines. I recently was told I am the father to another child. This mother (mother #2) was married at the time the child was born, however she was seperated. She just filed for child support against him and I think it's so he will challenge it and ask for a dna test to disprove that he's the father to clear things for her to file against me. I don't want custody - or to have anything to do with this child for personal reasons. If I am the father, how much could she be awarded? She does not work. Would the court reduce my first child's support order to make way for this second child? I pay $300 week for my first child and I make $600 a week, if this helps. Thanks.

1. Ronald S. Pichlik

Answered . Laws vary from state to state. However, normally, being ordered to pay support for another child is a material change in circumstances that would justify having support recalculated. You should be getting ready to request review if your current support, and certainly advise if the current support order in the new case.