I have a warrant in Wisconsin when I was in prison in Illinois I try ed to get it took care of n I was told it was not showing

Asked almost 2 years ago - Oshkosh, WI

Up and when I got out my brother said cops came to his house looking for me what should I do I called out to Wisconsin in was told cause it's a mistormeaner and thats the reason it, did not show up in the system and if I don't return nothing can be done I have kid's in that state so I have to go back

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Tajara Dommershausen


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can hire an attorney to work out a deal for you. You can turn yourself in and get it taken care of or you can roll the dice and hope you never get pulled over in WI. the last one isn't a great option as it always seems that people get picked up on the worst possible moment and then you don't get any credit for dealing with it.,

    In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does... more
  2. Karyn T. Missimer

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with the first answer. I would add, if you don't take care of this and you get pulled over in a state other than WI and the warrant comes up, you will be taken in on the warrant. You will then sit in jail for days, weeks, months while WI decides it will not extradite you for a misdemeanor. You will be released, but this will not clear the warrant. If you are pulled over in a state other than WI and the warrant comes up again, the process starts all over.

    Taking care of this with an attorney on your side is your best bet. Contact local, experienced criminal defense attorneys directly for more specific advice. Most initial consultations are free. So, you have nothing to lose at first. If you cannot afford a private attorney, contact the local public defender's office.

    Good luck!

  3. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Find a criminal defense lawyer in Oshkosh (if that is where the warrant is) to help you with this. It will continue to be a problem until you do.

    In my 30+ years experience, warrants tend to pop up at the worst time, as in on Holiday visits.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for... more
  4. Stephen Walter Sawyer

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The State of Wisconsin typically (that means not always, but usually) specifies on a warrant for a misdemeanor criminal offense that it is executable only within the State of Wisconsin. Felony warrants are typically executable anywhere in the United States.

    I agree with the other attorneys' answers. Get a lawyer and take care of it as soon as humanly possible. If you get arrested on the warrant before you handle this, nobody will believe you when you tell them you were planning on turning yourself in shortly. If you contact an attorney, he or she may be able to get your case called in court with you voluntarily walking into court to take care of the warrant. Then the lawyer can get a chance to explain to the judge that you were unable to come to court due to incarceration in another state, that you made attempts to check into the warrant and were told that it didn't show up in that state's system, and that you have voluntarily come to court to answer to the charges. With this scenario, you may be able to get the warrant cancelled and have your original bond reinstated - or if bond had not previously been set, have a better chance at a lower cash bail or a signature bond (that means no cash required for your release).

    The telephone number for the Oshkosh office of the State Public Defender is 920-424-3304. Call them to see if you qualify for an attorney appointed by their office. If not, call an experienced criminal defense lawyer in that area and take care of this right away. Don't let this warrant ruin your holiday season. Good Luck.

    This communication is for the purposes of general advice only. This communication does not form any contractual... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,328 answers this week

2,746 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,328 answers this week

2,746 attorneys answering