I had vascular surgery and signed the consent for surgery the day of the surgery.

Asked 8 months ago - Greenville, NC

The consent had NO risks listed, it was blank. I ended up loosing a vital organ as a result of a complication with the surgery. I ended up having a blood clot that blocked or decreased the blood flow to the organ. Is this an issue? I was told I wasn't properly prepared for the surgery with the risks.

NOTE: I have a copy of the consent.

1. John L. Schroeder

7

Answered . You may have a case. In order to make that determination you need to obtain all of your medical records and bring them to an attorney that does medical malpractice cases. These are time consuming and expensive cases to pursue. The attorney you select will make a determination if the case has a sufficient potential that makes it economically feasible to pursue. Good luck.

2. Steven Robert Samples

7

Answered . Mr. Schroeder has given you good advice. Get the records yourself and take them to a medical malpractice lawyer in your area. Don't mention lawyers or lawsuits to your doctors, as records can be altered.

3. Samuel Cohen

7

Answered . I agree with the others. Get your records and take them to an attorney who handles medical malpractice cases.

4. Philip Anthony Fabiano

6

Answered . HOw do you know the "risk" section was blank?? Do you recall this? Do you have a copy? YOu obviously need a copy of your records. Once you secure those records I suggest you take them to an attorney for a consultation regarding the informed consent issue you present.

Pro

4

Answered . Best to have a local malpractice lawyer order the records to investigate. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to find a top-rated Avvo lawyer with a low contingency fee.