Skip to main content

I had vascular surgery and signed the consent for surgery the day of the surgery.

Greenville, NC |

The consent had NO risks listed, it was blank. I ended up loosing a vital organ as a result of a complication with the surgery. I ended up having a blood clot that blocked or decreased the blood flow to the organ. Is this an issue? I was told I wasn't properly prepared for the surgery with the risks.

NOTE: I have a copy of the consent.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You may have a case. In order to make that determination you need to obtain all of your medical records and bring them to an attorney that does medical malpractice cases. These are time consuming and expensive cases to pursue. The attorney you select will make a determination if the case has a sufficient potential that makes it economically feasible to pursue. Good luck.


Mr. Schroeder has given you good advice. Get the records yourself and take them to a medical malpractice lawyer in your area. Don't mention lawyers or lawsuits to your doctors, as records can be altered.


I agree with the others. Get your records and take them to an attorney who handles medical malpractice cases.

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.


HOw do you know the "risk" section was blank?? Do you recall this? Do you have a copy? YOu obviously need a copy of your records. Once you secure those records I suggest you take them to an attorney for a consultation regarding the informed consent issue you present.

If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.


Best to have a local malpractice lawyer order the records to investigate. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to find a top-rated Avvo lawyer with a low contingency fee.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer