I had to hire a lawyer to defend me in a criminal lawsuit, which I plead not guilty. No charges for filed, I paid $6500

Asked over 2 years ago - Largo, FL

I paid a lawyer $6500.00 to represent me in a criminal lawsuit case which I plead not guilty and was put on a diversion program. Can I claim this money on my 2011 tax returns?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Robert C. LeBrasseur

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I think you might be better off asking this question to a tax attorney or accountant.

    My response to your question is a generic response and should not be construed as controlling to your case. I can... more
  2. E. Martin Davidoff


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It all depends upon the facts of the case. Generally, legal fees to defend personal legal actions are non-deductible. However, if the crime had anything to do with your business, then you may have a position to take the deduction as a misc. itemized deduction on Schedule A of your tax return. Even if you do, you may get little or no benefit due to the Alternative Minimum Tax.

    Generally, criminal case are 100% personal and have no affiliation with your business. But, there are exceptions, such as crimes in the workplace.

    Good luck.


    Marty Davidoff, emd@taxattorneycpa.com, 732-274-1600. This answer is provided for general information only. You... more
  3. Benjamin J Lieberman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is a tax issue that is better addressed to a tax professional such as a CPA or tax attorney.

  4. Robert David Richman

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Maybe if it was a business expense, but probably not. Speak to a tax lawyer or CPA.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,616 answers this week

3,333 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,616 answers this week

3,333 attorneys answering