I had to hire a lawyer to defend me in a criminal lawsuit, which I plead not guilty. No charges for filed, I paid $6500

Largo, FL |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I paid a lawyer $6500.00 to represent me in a criminal lawsuit case which I plead not guilty and was put on a diversion program. Can I claim this money on my 2011 tax returns?

I think you might be better off asking this question to a tax attorney or accountant.

My response to your question is a generic response and should not be construed as controlling to your case. I can not effectively advise about your case without knowing all the facts. Additionally, my response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You can contact my office to schedule an appointment if you would like to have me represent you.

This is a tax issue that is better addressed to a tax professional such as a CPA or tax attorney.

Maybe if it was a business expense, but probably not. Speak to a tax lawyer or CPA.

It all depends upon the facts of the case. Generally, legal fees to defend personal legal actions are non-deductible. However, if the crime had anything to do with your business, then you may have a position to take the deduction as a misc. itemized deduction on Schedule A of your tax return. Even if you do, you may get little or no benefit due to the Alternative Minimum Tax.

Generally, criminal case are 100% personal and have no affiliation with your business. But, there are exceptions, such as crimes in the workplace.

Marty

Marty Davidoff, emd@taxattorneycpa.com, 732-274-1600. This answer is provided for general information only. You should seek advice from an attorney or tax professional.