I had to hire a lawyer to defend me in a criminal lawsuit, which I plead not guilty. No charges for filed, I paid $6500

Asked over 2 years ago - Largo, FL

I paid a lawyer $6500.00 to represent me in a criminal lawsuit case which I plead not guilty and was put on a diversion program. Can I claim this money on my 2011 tax returns?

1. Robert C. LeBrasseur

7

Answered . I think you might be better off asking this question to a tax attorney or accountant.

2. E. Martin Davidoff

Pro

6

Answered . It all depends upon the facts of the case. Generally, legal fees to defend personal legal actions are non-deductible. However, if the crime had anything to do with your business, then you may have a position to take the deduction as a misc. itemized deduction on Schedule A of your tax return. Even if you do, you may get little or no benefit due to the Alternative Minimum Tax.

Generally, criminal case are 100% personal and have no affiliation with your business. But, there are exceptions, such as crimes in the workplace.

Marty

3. Benjamin J Lieberman

5

Answered . This is a tax issue that is better addressed to a tax professional such as a CPA or tax attorney.

4. Robert David Richman

5

Answered . Maybe if it was a business expense, but probably not. Speak to a tax lawyer or CPA.