I had someone contact me from the UK about an adoption. Is this a fraud?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Liberty, TN

A woman contacted me from the UK. She said she wanted someone to take her baby cause she had no way of taking care of it. She said all I have to do is pay her way here to have the baby. But she wants me to call her travel agent to give them the money. This seems weird to me. How did she get my email and how did she know I was trying to adopt. She said she would sign any legal papers when she got here. Is this a fraud that happens a lot?

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Fraud is actionable if certain elements of proof are established by the evidence. Using the written documentation you have is a good place to begin. Contact a local lawyer - many may give you a free consultation for an hour - to discuss your specifics. Discuss the matter with an attorney under the protections of attorney client privilege before anything else. Far too many variables exist in the short post you wrote for any further observation by me.

Good luck to you. God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship and all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question