I had POA over my aunt's care. My aunt passed away last week due to sepsis caused by a wound she received in a nursing home.

Asked over 1 year ago - Canton, MS

My 90 year old aunt passed away due to sepsis caused by an untreated wound she received in a nursing home. My siblings got wind of the fact that I am planning to file suit against the nursing home and are saying that If I do, they are entitled to any money that may be recovered. My siblings never went to see my aunt, never. I took care of her before she was admitted to the nursing home & visited her 2-3 times a day. I buried her. Also, my siblings said that my POA died with my aunt. I am wondering if they are correct. If so, what if I had filed suit before my aunt died & still had POA? My aunt did not have children of her own, she considered me as her daughter. My question is, does my siblings have a right to any money that I may receive from a negligence suit from the nursing home? Thanks

1. James Paul Tinsley

Pro

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . The answer depends on a lot of things. Did your aunt have a will? If so, that determines who receives any of her estate. Her estate includes all of her earthly possessions that she had at the time of her death and any claims against others she may have had but now can't pursue since she is deceased. You will be bringing suit on her behalf as either her personal representative or executor of her will to recover damages against the nursing home. All the money recovered, if any, will become part of her estate and how her estate is divided up depends on the probate court. If she had a will, it will be divided up according to that, but if she didn't have a will then it will be divided according to MS law, which will be distributed amongst the nearest living relatives. It doesn't matter what your other siblings did or did not do during her life. Nor does it matter that you had a POA. The POA is NOT A WILL. The short answer is that any money you recover, you will probably have to share at least some of it with your siblings unless there is a will that states otherwise. I would recommend that you cover this issue when you speak with the attorney who will be handling your case against the nursing home.

2. Anders Ferrington

Answered . My colleague is correct that you need to discuss all this with an attorney that does a great deal of nursing home litigation. Additionally, in Mississippi, a POA DOES end at death. An estate, either testate or intestate needs to be opened to handle the affairs of your aunt.

3. William B Palmertree

Answered . Damages in wrongful death cases can be complicated but here is a brief breakdown of the split. There are damages to the estate which would involve funeral costs, pain and suffering of the decedent while alive, and other types of damages. Those damages go into the estate and are split as determined by probate law (will depend on whether there is a will or not). There are also damages to the individual to compensate them for their loss. This is where your damages would be greater than the other siblings due to your close relationship with your aunt. This is an area of law which was very complicated and there have been a couple of cases in the last decade to help clear this area up. You need the help of solid counsel that handles wrongful death litigation of this type.