Skip to main content

I had OPT permit but it expired. I still have my social security. Would I get in trouble?

Boston, MA |

I was an international student who got an OPT permit with a social security number. Would I get in trouble if I decide to keep working? And if I do, and go out of the USA and then try to come back again...would I be in trouble in the border? Can immigration see your Social Security History and all that?

Attorney Answers 2


If your OPT has expired, any continued employment would be unlawful. Also, your F-1 status expires 60 days after the expiration of your OPT.

Being out of status means you are removable (deportable). Being out of status can preclude you from getting future visas to enter the US.

Mark as helpful


It is very unlikely that you would be able to return to the Untied States if you leave. I assume your student visa has expired, so you probably have no document to return with.

The above is not intended as legal advice. You should seek counsel.

Mark as helpful

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics