I had my seat belt on but the officer said i did not and wrote me a ticket how can i fight that

Asked over 4 years ago - South Houston, TX

I had my seat belt on but the officer said i did not and still wrote me a ticket how can i fight that

1. Answered . Hire a lawyer and set the case for a jury trial. Many potential jurors do not believe that cops are always truthful or always right.

2. Answered . Cynthia's post is correct. Especially in Houston you have a good shot at convincing the jurors that the cop was wrong. Red-blooded rural Texas, not so much.

Russ Hunt Jr.
    AV-Rated Board Certified Criminal Defense
    Throughout Central Texas

3. Answered . It is not a great idea to represent yourself.

You do, however, have the constitutional right to do so. I would recommend spending an entire day in the court to observe how judges handle self-represented defendants to get an idea of how irritated they get at amateur lawyering.

If you really want to represent yourself, you should purchase an hour of a traffic attorney's time to have her or him coach you on how to handle things.

A better choice if you do not want to pay the fine is simply to hire an attorney.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose A Lawyer For You"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/how-to-cho...

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-do-i-...

Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This observation is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. This observation is not like a communication with a lawyer with whom you have an attorney-client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides.