I had my parental rights taken away. do I still have to pay current child support???

Asked almost 3 years ago - Springfield, MA

I understand that I owe arrears, but can the support continue to accrue after my children have been either placed in foster homes or an adoptive home??

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Richard James Reade Jr

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your obligation will continue for certain up until an adoption decree is entered by the court. Then it is a question as to under what circumstances the adoption is being made, and under which adoption statute. For example, adoption decrees entered with the consent of the birth parent do not terminate support obligations, while adoption decrees entered under Section 6 of Chapter 210 will terminate the support obligation. The arrears, however, will need to be paid as you seem to acknowledge.

  2. Alan J Pransky

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I believe that if your parental rights were TERMINATED, then you only owe arrears for child support. However, if the court suspended your visitation rights, then you are still obligated to pay child support. I suggest that you examine the court order that took away your parental rights. If your rights were terminated, you should go to court to seek termination of child support.

  3. Henry Lebensbaum

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes, as stated.

    henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

    Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex... more

Related Topics

Ending child support

State laws vary as to when child support actually ends, but many set it at the age of majority (legal adulthood) or upon the child's high school graduation.

Father's rights in child custody

Father's rights refers to the parental rights of the father, primarily child custody and visitation rights. Fathers sometimes also need to establish paternity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,066 answers this week

2,371 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,066 answers this week

2,371 attorneys answering