I had my house foreclosed on; what are the dos and don'ts when I leave?

Asked over 3 years ago - Winona, MN

My house was flooded 2 years ago and I took out a 15K loan which I still owe $10K. I replaced alot of appliances, i.e. water heater, washer, dryer, furnace, stove and refrigerator. What are the laws with what I can and cannot take? How do I have to leave it?

1. Errin Preston Stowell

Answered . The furnace and water heater would probably be considered "fixtures" at this point, but the other items, if all you have to do is unplug and move, then those should be considered personal property which you should be entitled to take with you. The mortgage company is foreclosing on your house, which would include fixtures, but not on your personal property. If you have a copy of your mortgage agreement then you should check it to see if it states anything about personal property such as washer, dryer, stove, refrigerator, etc.

You should probably make sure the water is turned off, the windows and doors secured, and that the house is broom swept and no garbage/trash inside. The mortgage company will likely have someone come out soon after you leave to secure the property. You should probably notify the mortgage company when you leave and let them know that you've also turned off all the utilities that were in your name.

Best regards,

Errin P. Stowell

Stowell Law Firm, LLC
    350 St. Peter Street, Suite 224
    St. Paul, MN 55102
    651-890-2831 phone
    stowell.law.firm@gmail.com

We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy protection under the Bankruptcy Code.

2. Bernard James Conway

Answered . With regard to condition of the house, you are under no obligation to do anything other than refrain from intentionally causing damage. There is no clean up or removal of all items etc etc obligation.

3. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

Answered . You can probably take the kitchen appliances, but I would not take the water heater or furnace.