Skip to main content

I had my car parked and someone hit it when backing out. I don't have insurance, but other guy does, can I still get reimbursed?

Merced, CA |

I parked the car in Walgreens parking lot and when I got back I saw a dent on my car and a phone number on my windshield. When I called the guy, he said that he backed out in me and had to leave, but he already told his insurance about it. I just bought a car and didn't get the insurance on it. Am I still eligible to get his insurance to pay for the damages to the car? The incident happened 2 days ago and his insurance already contacted me and asked me to file a claim with my insurance. What should I do?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You can absolutely get reimbursed for car repairs from his insurance company. You can go to a trusted body shop and provided them the contact information for the insurance carrier. Most body shops will deal directly with the insurance.

    While I am an attorney, I am not your attorney. You should always speak with your own attorney to gain full and complete legal advice.

  2. Since this person is insured, file your claim against his insurance company. He obviously has told them he is at fault. I see no reason why you should have to resort to your own insurance, particularly when you don't have any.You should, of course, should purchase the required insurance in your state. New insurance won't have any bearing on this accident, but you need to be properly protected.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

  3. Yes, you are entitled to make a liability property damage claim against the other individual even though you don't have insurance.

    Good luck.