Skip to main content

I had an car accident. I turn left while the light was green and i did not see any car. However, a car hit me on my right side.

Kennesaw, GA |

The driver from the other car was not neither the owner of the car nor on the insurance policy. The police gave both a citation for court and put on it that I have made an improper left turn. The owner of the car was as a passenger because she was drunk. I just received a demand from the three girls who were on the other car saying that they have back problems and headaches. What should I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 14


You should contact a local attorney immediately and not speak to anyone else until you do!

View my website & give me a call for a FREE consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Contact your insurance carrier and/or the insurance carrier for the car you were driving. It would appear that you failed to yield the right of way.


As others have said, report this to your carrier and contact qualified traffic counsel.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


Report it to the owner's insurance company immediately as well as your own. If you had any injuries you should consult an attorney as well as depending on why the other driver was cited you may have a counterclaim for damages. The insurance of the owner should defend you against the other drivers

* Please note that I am an Attorney practicing in Georgia, but I am not your attorney. This post is intended to provide some helpful insight into your particular situation, but it should not be taken as legal advice. If you would like to discuss your Georgia Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice, or Criminal case, I am happy to discuss your specific situation with you at no cost to you. I can be reached at 404-996-5157 or If you found this Answer "Helpful" or " The Best Answer", please click the tab indicating that. Thank you!


Turn it over to your insurance company and let them handle the demand.


Pass the demand on to your insurance company who will evaluate their claims and settle or defend as they see fit. Insurance companies are good at defending these matters aggressively. If you didn't have insurance, you may need to consult a lawyer about a strategy.

Good luck.


You should report the wreck to both insurance companies if you haven't done so already. You should go to court for the hearing on the traffic ticket if you believe you were not at fault. Good luck.


Report the claim to your insurance company and let them handle it. They have a duty to defend you in this situation.


Report it to your insurance to resolve.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Turn it over to your insurance company.

Darrell B. Reynolds, Sr.
Attorney and Counselor at Law

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
- William Shakespeare

NOTICE – 1) This email does not create an attorney/client relationship. In order to create an attorney/client relationship with this office it is necessary to enter into a written contract agreed to by both parties. 2) This email is intended only for the person(s) listed in the To: and CC: lines. It is not intended for anyone else and any reliance upon this email by other parties is at their own peril. 3) This e-mail, and all attachments transmitted with it, may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information that is intended solely for the individual(s) or entity(ies) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, then you are not authorized to read, distribute, copy, or otherwise use any or all portions of this e-mail or any attachment. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephone at 1-404-636-6616, and delete all copies of this e-mail. Thank you.


It sounds like you failed to yield the right of way and were likely at fault. Report the claim to your insurer. As there could be facts we don't have, also see a lawyer just to be safe and determine what if anything you need to do as to the ticket and injuries. But the good news is your insurer will defend you from civil claims.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


If you had a green light (and can prove it) then the other car must have had a red light and that would put them at fault, not you. You probably should talk to a criminal lawyer or a traffic court lawyer to get advice on how to prove your claim in court.

Disclaimer: This response is provided to you for educational and informational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship has been created hereby. Other attorneys may have different opinions or responses. If you found this response helpful, please indicate that to Avvo. Thank you.

Robert G. Rothstein

Robert G. Rothstein


Of course, if the other car was on the same road as you were but heading in your direction they probably had a green light too, which means you probably failed to yield, unless some contributing factor such as an obstruction or the road design made it impossible for you to see them coming. Turn it over to your insurance co.


If you had insurance, then notify your insurance agent who should put you in touch with right person at the insurance company. They will typically have a duty to defend you. If the other driver was cited for a moving violation which could have caused the collision, you may have a defense. You may also have claim against the driver and the owner. If the insurance on the other vehicle covers the matter and you have property or injury claims, then you may be able to collect from their insurance company. Be sure to tell your insurance carrier about the ticket the other driver received.


Call your insurance company. See links.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer