I had an affair and the woman I had the affair with is claiming she is pregnant.

Bohemia, NY |
Filed under: Family law

The woman is claiming she is pregnant . I sought out some legal help and for financial reasons used a paralegal for some assistance . I don't feel the paralegal is giving me the right advise . She has had me give the woman $ 5500 to date to cover various fees including an abortion that the woman has yet to have . Now the woman wants even more money for legal fees she claims to have and a hospital bill and still has not had the procedure and the para legal wants me to just pay it without any proof . Is the paralegal giving sound advice ? ? It feels like she is working for this woman and not me .

Your first mistake (well obviously not really your first mistake), was hiring a paralegal and expecting legal advice. Paralegals can not give legal advice. They are not lawyers. They prepare legal papers and should only do so under the supervision of lawyers. You had no legal responsibility to pay for an abortion. You similarly have no legal duty to pay for her legal fees or hospital bill. Seek out a local attorney to get real legal advice.

The above is a general answer and is not considered legal advice. You should contact an attorney before proceeding to take any legal action, signing any papers or upon service of a summons. Howard E. Knispel 631-864-7589

Hire a local experienced lawyer, not a paralegal, to assist you. Seek to have the paralegal give you the money back.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

Stop talking to a "paralegal." I use quotaton marks because I don't know any real paralegals who think they can give legal advice and negotiate agreements for people. Speak to a lawyer in your area BEFORE you give any more money to anyone.

This anawer is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship and may be considered attorney advertising. This answer should not supplant advice received from any attorney the questioner may have or obtain, as that attorney will be able to provide more thorough and informed advice.

YOU NEED TO STOP! Take a breath and think. It sounds like your gut is telling you the paralegal is not giving you sound legal advise. Listen to your gut! A paralegal is not a lawyer and should not be viewed as one. You have already provided this woman with $5500. This is $5500 too much. You have no obligation to pay for an abortion. My best advise, contact a local attorney to represent your interests.