I had an accident on 5 November 2012. My insurance company paid for my car and took care of everything except the personal

North Port, FL |

injury to the driver of the other car and passengers which is being negotiation. In addition they will represent me if this goes to trail. Do I need to talk to an attorney now or can it wait to see if they sue me. The police cited me. Fine has been paid and school is completed.

Thank you.

It is unlikely that you need to retain an attorney at this juncture. Your insurance company is handling the matter. If a settlement cannot be reached and one or more of the other parties sues you, your insurance company will defend you. If one or more of the other parties' damages exceeds your insurance policy limits, that leaves you open to personal liability. If that occurs, you may want to consider hiring an attorney but every case is different and without more information, it is unclear whether you will need an attorney at a later date.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice.

2. The answer to this question depends on how much liability coverage you had in place at the time of the accident, and how severe the person's injuries are. If the injuries are serious and you have a minimal policy, it might be a good idea to consult with a private attorney to find out if you have any danger of personal financial exposure.

3. If your policy limits are low and damages potentially high, you should consider retaining independent counsel to safeguard your interests.

4. At this juncture, let your insurance carrier handle it.

If you are later sued, that may be the time to evaluate whether or not you need personal counsel in addition to the counsel which will be provided to you by your insurance company.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.