I had accident and i have pre existing on my low back

Asked about 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

hello
i want to tell you guys(Lawyers) about my situation.
i had rear-end auto accident on 4/20/12 and i already have pre existing on my low back.
i have L-4/L-5 disc surgery on 2010. and i got disable card for my car.
after 2011 june i stopped see my neurologist and stopped my oxycodone 5mg pills
but after i got accident on 4/20/12 I'm taking 6 pills of oxycodone.
we tried everything during 12 month.( physical therapy,MRI,CAT scan,epidural injection,Acupuncture) also i went my previous surgeon and he said if i get surgery one more time it could me more pain, so he didn't recommended. my medical bill is about $25.000
my lawyer said he will try to get policy limit from other guys insurance & try to get from mine too. can you guys think i can get policy limit from both of insurance?
thx

1. Steven L Shaw

8

Answered . Having a pre-existing injury is not fatal to an injury claim, but it must be handled properly. You will need clear medical opinion on the issue of apportionment between the two causes of your symptoms, and opinion on what the subject collision caused on a more probable than not basis.

Be prepared for the fact that neither the other driver's insurer, nor your own, will be motivated to settle your claims short of litigation. They will argue that your pre-existing symptoms were not worsened by the crash, or at least not as much as you are claiming.

Since you are represented, you should really be discussing any concerns you have with him. Talk with him soon.

Pro

6

Answered . Too many factors go into determining whether you would get limits, and only your attorney knows the details of your case.

3. George Costas Andriotis

Pro

4

Answered . Impossible for us to properly evaluate your case without thoroughly investigating it but your attorney certainly can and has offered his/her advice with regard to value.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  4. Steven D. Weier

Pro

1

1

Answered . I agree with the other lawyers. But there is more for you to know, so here are some issues to discuss with your lawyer: policy limits - how much? Are you limited by the other drivers policy? Was he working at the time he hit you? If so, his employer may be responsible too. That could bring more insurance to the table. Was there an "umbrella" policy? That could bring more to the table. Was the car he was driving owned by someone else? Also, in Washington State there are a series of cases following the Thiringer case which could limit or minimize whether your insurance gets reimbursed out of your settlements. Was your original injury a work-related claim? If so you might be able to re-open your workers' comp case for objective worsening of the condition. Give your attorney all the information you have so he/she can help you. . . Help him/her help you! Good luck!

5. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

3

Answered . Your attorney knows the facts of your situation and only he or she can answer this question for you.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  6. Mark John Caruso

Pro

3

Answered . Trust your attorney. He is in the best position to evaluate your claim and the involvement of this new accident on your pre-existing condition. He may want to contact the doctor to help determine the extent of aggravation of the injury. Many doctors will compare your pre-accident pain level on a scale of 1 to 10 to your post-accident pain level on the same scale. Also post-accident diagnostics may help the doctor differentiate the pre-accident condition from the post-accident condition. Depending on the findings of your doctor and the amount of policy limits available, you may be able to get policy limits.