Skip to main content

I had a writ of body attachment issued againist me in illinois, i live in wisconsin. can i be arrested in wisconsin.

Madison, WI |

it was for not showing up for a court date in a small claims case

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


you can generally find this out by calling your local police department...tell them you understand that you may have a warrant out for you and wanted to know if they could check...if it shows up ask if this means you would be arrested if you were picked up in WI (they cant answer for ILL)


If you have a body attachment in Illinois, it is possible that you could be arrested in Wisconsin and held until transfer is authorized to the care and custody of the Illinois sheriff of any particular county.

Advice on this forum is for informational purposes only and should never be mistaken as a substitute for legal advice. If you are in need of legal advice, you should consult local legal counsel.


You need an attorney now. Depending on why the writ was issued (e.g., were you ordered to do something and did not comply? were you sued and you just decided not to fight?), you may have grounds to fight it. Otherwise, you can be picked up in one state on a warrant in another state.

Mr. Goldstein is a Virginia-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Mitchell Goldstein or the Goldstein Law Group does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege until otherwise advised.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer