I had a settlement agreement against a collection agency for unlawful debt practices and pursuing an invalid debt.

Tempe, AZ |

In September of 2012 I sued a collection agency for pursuing me for an invalid debt. I won and we had agreed an a monthly payment plan for my compensation and attorneys fees They have not sent in the payment for this month and whenever I call they just tell me their manager is out of the office. What do I need to do to get my money?

If you won in court, then you would need to go back to that court and file a complaint for contempt. Hire an attorney.

The DiGiulio Law Firm, LLC. Phone: 888-540-4529 Website: www.atl-law.com Atlanta, Marietta, Lawrencevile, Duluth, Alpharetta, Buckhead The above answer is for general information purposes and is offered as a service to the public. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, reviews or other communications, including the above post, should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation or relied upon as a substitute for engaging legal counsel, nor does it constitute advertising or a solicitation. Viewing the general information here, including your receipt or transmission of information hereof does not alone create or constitute an attorney-client relationship or ensure confidentiality. Please contact 770-309-9551 for additional questions or to schedule for your free phone consultation. If this question or answer pertains to bankruptcy, please be advised that we are a federal debt relief agency. One of our areas of practice is to help people file for bankruptcy relief and protection under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.

Depends on what your judgment/stipulation states. If the stipulation was drafted properly, there should be a provision about what happens if the monthly payment agreement defaults.

In either case, you will need to go back to court and either move for whatever the stipulation provides or an order for contempt. The result of either would be to allow you to embark on enforced collection (good luck) to levy bank accounts, etc.

In our agreement it stated that they were to pay about $400 per month for both client damages and attorneys fees. The manager for the corporation signed and agreed to it. Not sure if that was stipulated properly

Matthew Scott Berkus

Matthew Scott Berkus

You mention attorney fees, why not go back and talk about this with your attorney. I am not sure what anyone else can really add here on this forum, you need someone to review the actual documents and circumstances to advise you further.

You will have to hire your own debt collector.

Note that this answer is NOT a substitute for legal advice, nor does it create an attorney client relationship. Please consult with an attorney.

Matthew Scott Berkus

Matthew Scott Berkus

Great comment Brooks. :)

Brooks James Grainger

Brooks James Grainger

Thanks Matt. The irony is thick.

I you filed an FDCPA claim against the collector and got attorney's fees, presumably you have an attorney. Did the collector sign a settlement agreement or was there a judgment?