I had a previous employer that took advantage of most, if not all of his employers because they were of hispanic , LatinAmerican

Asked 11 months ago - Buchanan, NY

Decent..He did not pay overtime hours/ rate or time and a half over 40 hours and I /other employers worked Monday through Saturday sometimes over 50+ hours and he would pay straight time. Upon looking information about my previous employer..I found out that, previously he had gotten a dwi in the town he resides in.. And it was published in news article online. After working for him as his "employee" I saw how he took advantage of his employees in different ways. I know a friend of mine that works for a local online newspaper ..(She is a writer that looks for and finds stories to publish) ..IS it possible that I tell her the story about my employer and him taking advantage of his employees..So his customers can find out about his true character? I have an overtime wage case against him

1. 2

Answered . Many cases for unpaid overtime are settled before trial with the agreement that it will be kept confidential. You may joepardize any chance of settlement if you publicize the case.

2. 2

Answered . I suggest you discuss this with your lawyer.

3. 1

Answered . Don't do anything before consulting with your attorney. Based upon the facts you present, a class action lawsuit in federal court could be commenced under federal law( The Fair Labor Standards Act) and state law.

4. Answered . In terms of a discrimination as opposed to wage and hour case, the question would be whether he maintained such policies only for employees of Hispanic national origin. I hope your case includes the New York Labor Law as well as the federal, because the State law allows more years of back pay. I would not attempt to reach his customers. He'll just pass it off as a letter from a disgruntled employee, and you may be liable for interfering with his business relationships. (Admitted in CT and NY)